Wednesday, May 28, 2008

McCain gets whacked.

1) McCain is released his medical records Friday – and by released, I mean that a select number of reporters will have the chance to sift through thousands of pages of records, taking notes but not copies in a three hour period. It's like saying find where I say "I fantasize about purple bunnies and guava fruit", in these thousands of documents – oh you only have three hours. What?! WHAT IS HE HIDING?
and in an interview in 2000, he admits that he'd be too old for prez in 2008:

Lehrer: Finally for the record, you have not lost your desire to be President of the United States have you?
McCain: Certainly it's been put in deep cold storage. haha..
Lehrer: You haven't lost it?
McCain: Well, in 2004, I expect to be campaigning for the reelection of President George W. Bush, and by 2008, I think I might be ready to go down to the old soldiers home and await the cavalry charge there.

2) Hillary still wants to seat MI and FL delegates. What's wrong with this picture? Her's was the only name on the ballot. Sound like Soviet Russia to anyone else – you're free to vote, encouraged even but there's only this name on the ballot. Careful who you pick! So no Hillary, I supported you in the past, but you can't change the rules in the middle of the game. Let's try a little thought experiment, had Obama's name been on the ballot and yours not, would you still be bucking to seat them? No, you wouldn't.

3) In KY primary, running effectively unopposed, McCain only received 72% of the vote. Unopposed.
Oregon - 85% (the other 15% went to Paul supporters)
Nebraska - 87% (13% to Paul)
West VA - 76% (Paul - 5%, Huckabee - 10%)
North Carolina - 74% (Paul - 7%, Huckabee - 12%)
Indiana - 75% (Paul - 8%, Huckabee - 10%)
Pennsylvania 73% (Paul - 16% , Huckabee - 11%)

These races all occurred after McCain became the presumptive nominee. ~%15 of people came out to vote against him in each of these races. Supporters of Huckabee and Paul are very different from the mainstream GOP voter. Don't look for McCain to corral their votes easily.

4) Ellen laid the smack down on McCain, re: gay marriage (in light of the CA ruling) - so if you missed it, here's the transcript. I highly recommend the video also.

DEGENERES: So let's talk about it. Let's talk about the big elephant in the room. So, by the way, I was planning on having a ceremony anyway this summer, even though it wasn't legal, but I feel that at least I get to celebrate my love. And then, it just so happens, I can now legally get married, as everyone should.

McCAIN: And I saw where even registered you.

DEGENERES: Yeah, yeah. Illegally registered me. But, yeah. So, I'm obviously excited, and to me, this is only fair and only natural, and what are your thoughts?

McCAIN: Well, my thoughts are that I think people should be able to enter into legal agreements, and I think that is something that we should encourage, particularly in the case of insurance and other areas, decisions that have to be made. I just believe in the unique status of marriage between man and woman. And I know that we have a respectful disagreement on that issue.

DEGENERES: Yeah, I mean, I think that it is looked at, and some people are saying that blacks and women did not have the right to vote. Women just got the right to vote in 1920, blacks didn't have the right to vote until 1870, and it just feels like there's this old way of thinking that we're not all the same. We are all the same people. All of us. You're no different than I am. Our love is the same.
To me, what it feels like, just — I will speak for myself — it feels like when someone says you can have a contract, and you'll still have insurance and you'll get all that, it sounds to me like saying, "You can sit there, you just can't sit there." That's what it sounds like to me. It doesn't feel inclusive; it feels isolated. It feels like we aren't owed the same things and the same wording.

McCAIN: Well, I've heard you articulate that position in a very eloquent fashion and we have a disagreement and I, along with many many others, wish you every happiness.

DEGENERES: So you'll walk me down the aisle? Is that what you're saying?

McCAIN: Touche.


Post a Comment

<< Home