Monday, July 09, 2007

I have an intense headache. Normally, I would chalk this up to not having any breakfast, but I did have breakfast. I actually had a quite good breakfast: cereal, raspberries and a peanut butter on bread slice. I'm still quite full.

So, I think I will have to blame the pain on not enough sleep. Why didn't I get enough sleep you might ask - and the answer would be, I stayed up too late, watching the first season of the L word. Remember when the L word was good? yeah, first season. And so I did not get enough sleep.

though, I was remarkably productive morning - dishes, laundry, general picking up, crunches, and dropping off moves at blockbuster. Go me.

So, finland has a system of finining people for traffic violations that a) I greatly enjoy and b) we should adopt and use for everything. It works like this, you get a ticket, the officer consults an IRS-like database to find out what your income is, you are then assessed a fine based on the severity of your violation (including such factors as, speed, driving conditions, the proximity of other people). The key is that the fine is a percentage of you income. Poor college kid, speeding = $80. Rich old white guy, speeding = $100k. Me likey.

Now, use the same principle for other crimes. Because thousand dollar fines mean nothing to the very rich. nothing. you have to hit them in the pocketbook. love it. love it.

This week is nice because we have Wednesday off, right there in the middle of the week. It's like Monday, Friday. then the weekend, or in this case just Sunday. Then Monday, Friday, and then Real Weekend. Nice. Incidentally, today is like Monday and Wednesday all wrapped up in one.

After the Scooter Libby commutation, my letter to my congressman, my parent's congressman, and Nancy.

Congressman, I am writing you to express my dismay at the President's commutation of Scooter Libby. I have always taken pride knowing that we are a nation of laws, and that in the eyes of the law, we are all treated equally. The President's decision eviscerates this concept- apparently it's ok, if you're a Republican.

Mr. Libby's trial was fair, he was judged and found guilty by a jury of his peers and an experienced judge handed him a sentence that was well within established guidelines.President Bush negated all of that by commuting Mr. Libby's sentence. Contrary to what he said in his statement, President Bush cannot claim to respect the verdict of the jury and at the same time commute Mr. Libby's sentence to zero. Mr. Libby has done nothing to deserve such a commutation. He has not expressed remorse, his case is still on appeal and he has not served one day in prison. Not one day.

National security is an extremely important issue; this includes the integrity of our CIA officers and missions. The intentional outing of a cover CIA agent is tantamount to treason. There is no way to know the extent of the damage that the outing of Valerie Plame has caused. There is no way to know how much information we have lost, how many contacts will no longer come forward or how many lives have been forsaken. Mr. Libby may not have pulled the trigger, but he knows who did.

Mr. Libby obstructed justice by lying to a grand jury in the course of the investigation into this matter. He was convicted of this offense. President Bush commits nothing less than obstruction of justice by commuting his sentence, and condoning the continued obstruction of the CIA-outing investigation.

The Congress must demand answers from the President as to why he has chosen to give a friend of the Administration special treatment. He must explain his reasoning for commuting the sentence.The Congress must demand the continued investigation into the CIA leak. The President said that he would fire anyone found to have been involved in the leak-in the breach of national security. There remains a dark cloud of suspicion over both the Office of the Vice President, and Mr. Karl Rove. As of yet, they have not been fired.

It becomes the responsibility of the House of Representatives to check the power of the Executive. That time has come. I urge you to co-sponsor H Res 333 - the resolution to impeach Vice President Dick Cheney.

Congressman, no man is above the law. We, the people ask that you hold this Administration accountable for its many transgressions. Please help restore our once proud and noble nation to the greatness that we have lost.

And that was my letter.

Ok, it's 10:26am on MonThurWednesday and I have nothing left to do. I just want to a) go to the gym, b) go home and take a nap, or c) go home and watch a movie. I do not want to be here for the next 7.5 hours. I mean really, I've only been here for an hour, and yet it feels like forever. And there's no entertaining news because it's right after a holiday and Congress is not in session.

It really seems like all the crazies come out when we have a short week or holiday. People just completely unable to handle themselves. On Tuesday, Joyce spent 45 minutes on the phone with someone who did not understand what a "mouse" was. She had to explain, left click, right click to him - and he never did master cut and paste.

Ok, 3 hours and 49 minutes remain. Once again, just like every day, I'm getting my afternoon chills - or maybe they just turn the temperature down in here after lunch because they know that people are sleepy. This, I suspect. I think that I would rather be outside in the humidity, in the HEAT, rather than be cold.

The only redeeming quality about this workday is that it is like Wednesday, because tomorrow is Friday. The sucky, thing is that it feels like Monday.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home