Monday, February 12, 2007

This is something I found from last week:

Here's the problem with skipping work one day by calling in sick: the next day, you have to act like you feel bad still, even if you really feel great because you went to the gym AND had breakfast before going to work. Bugger.

So here's my new plan. Racquetball twice a week, and every day. gym, shower, breakfast, work, dinner, relax. I like it.

I think I forgot to mention that Ashley (of senior year of high school, Ashley who I haven't seen on spoken to in 4 years, that Ashley? Is back from her "mission" in DC and is interning at my mother's workplace. Small fucking world. SMALL FUCKING WORLD. Yeah, just thought I'd mention that.

Meanwhile, the US government sent 363 tonnes of cash to Iraq, where it promptly disappeared. How much is 363 tonnes, you ask? $12 BILLION. That they just sent over there and then failed to guard, secure or keep track of. Way to go. Questioned about the funds, and the concern for their whereabouts, the financial adviser for the Coalition Provisional Authority (CPA) said, "I have no idea. I can't tell you whether or not the money went to the right things or didn't - nor do I actually think it's important." ...

Q: "But the fact is billions of dollars have disappeared without trace."

Oliver: "Of their money. Billions of dollars of their money, yeah I understand. I'm saying what difference does it make?"

What difference does it make?! Are you deluded?

"Many of the funds appear to have been lost to corruption and waste ... thousands of 'ghost employees' were receiving pay cheques from Iraqi ministries under the CPA's control. Some of the funds could have enriched both criminals and insurgents fighting the United States." NICE.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/frontpage/story/0,,2008191,00.html

Yesterday (while I was skipping work), I missed the pleasure that was Rep.Waxman (D-Ca), of the House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform, took some Blackwater (subsidiary of Halliburton) officials out to the shed and beat them with a stick. When a Republican representative tried to stand up for Blackwater, Waxman said "I suggest the Congressman return under his rock." Ha ha ha. I'm still looking for a transcript of the entire event. More on that later.

Note, someone has pointed out the UN Resolution 44/34 prohibits the use of mercenaries and that Blackwater falls into this category. Regrettably, I have to point out that the resolution specifies that "a mercenary is any person that is specially recruited locally or abroad in order to fight in an armed conflict." To my knowledge, Blackwater was hired to provide security and not to actually take part in the fighting. A fine line, I know. Nonetheless. and regardless, even if it was prohibited, would that actually stop anyone?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home