Tuesday, January 31, 2006

8:43am
Food Food Food - how sometimes, leaving is good. I arrived today with a heavy heart (not really), walked into my cube area to discover many "Good Job Jalynn" signs, and an abundance of food - a crave case, two dozen doughnuts, shrimp, cheese and crackers, chips and dip. Good food, good people. I will be a little sad to go, I've had fun here, and the money's been good.

9:59am
Off to my meeting with the bosses.

10:53am
Whew. I think I just convinced my bosses to take me back for a month in March. Go me. I was all like, you really need to integrate these systems from a bottom up stand-point, instead of top down. I could do that, but it might take me about a month. Hehehe.

11:12am
MMMMmmm...delicious british woman.... Speaking of lovely british women..."imagine me and you" - excellent movie. angsty yet sweet. no matter what anyone else says, i loved it. and piper perabo is hot - and has also done two lesbo movies now...me thinks that is not a coincidence....

11:39am
Doh! Alito was just confirmed 58-42.

12:30pm
Four and a half hours left before I'm officially unemployed. You maybe asking yourself "what will happen to Adventures?" Well, the adventure won't end with my assignment here, you can be sure that Adventures in Cubeland will continue - though it might be adventures in unemployed land and adventures in politics land before we return to Cubeland. But when we do, we'll have a whole new company's bureaucracy and idosyncracies to dish about.

12:52pm
So you thought that you lost some product of ours, we have a lost and stolen policy, so you make a claim on your lost product and then we send you new ones. You then proceed to find the ones that you thought you had lost, and now you want to know if they're still good. What do you think is going to happen here? OF COURSE THEY ARE NOT STILL GOOD - you reported them missing and we sent you new ones - if your old ones were still good - ten thousand people would just report there's missing, get new ones and DOUBLE UP.

1:04pm
I started reading "It Can't Happen Here" at work today. Here's a snippet from the jacket "A cautionary tale about the fragility of democracy, it is an alarming, eerily timeless look at how fascism could take hold in America ::snip:: It juxtaposes sharp political satire with the cillingly realistic rise of a president who becomes a dictator to save teh nation from welfare cheats, sex, crime and the liberal press." I'm 40 pages into it, here are some favorite quotes so far:

"We don't want all this highbrow intellectuality, all this book-learning. That's good enough in its way, but isn't it, after all, just a toy for grownups?"

"there are worse things....a state in which college professors, newspapermen, and notorious authors are promulgating these same seditious attacks on the grand old Constitution."

"Remember our war hysteria, when we called saurkraut 'liberty cabbage' and somebody actually proposed calling German measles 'freedom measles'?"

"Remember when the hick leglistatures ....set up shop as scientific experts and made the whole world laugh itself sick by forbidding the teaching of evolution?"

"The Executive has got to have a freer hand and be able to move quick in an emergency, and not be tied down by a lot of dumb lawyer congressmen taking months to shoot off their mouths in debate."

Oh. Did I mention this book was written in ::jalynn thumbs through pages:: ah yes 1935 - yeah. Seventy years ago!

1:26pm
Why are people always calling and asking if they can replace their lost gift cards --- here's a hint, don't lose it. Can you replace your lost $20 bill? I didn't think so.

2:07pm
Press '1' for existing accounts and '2' for new accounts. This sentence is not difficult. I do not want to hear the words "I have an account, but...." if you have an account, why am I talking to you?

2:33pm
Two and a half hours. 2.5 hours until freedom, until sunshine, until sleepy time. five and a half hours until the State of the Union. oh the excitement!

2:44pm
I don't like when my Gang of 4 corporate friends are busy and don't have time to email all day. Also, there's really nothing for me to do today, but I don't just want to bust out my book and blatantly read....guess I'll just stare at the ceiling and count the tiles, for old time's sake.

2:55pm
I relish the hot water at work because I never know if there is going to be any hot water at home, despite Bob having replaced every part in the water heater, twice. I would really like a hot shower tonight though. Pray.

3:07pm
From Talkleft:

"If you're not by a tv, the State Department will have live audio feeds of the State of the Union address on its Web site in English, Arabic, Farsi, Bahasa Indonesian, Spanish, French and Russian. "

Doesn't that seem like kind of an odd mix of languages? I mean, I'm sure that they are the top languages in the world or something - but on the face of it, it looks like an odd collection.

4:11pm
And sometimes people surprise you - from my coworker, who I previously though was sortof crazy - but I grew to be fond of:


"I just wanted to say it was very nice getting to know you. You genuinely seem to be a very bright spot in our country's future. (Even though you are a liberal : ) I like your personality and professionalism. You did the job well and took it as seriously as you really could- unlike some people. And you are very even keel. If you ever had a bad day, I could not tell. That is rare and valuable. I wish nothing but the very best for you in the future. From all I can tell, your friends and family are lucky to have you in their life. You are very ambitious, so be sure to stay that way and keep your energy and drive. I regret not having kept mine and now may forever be stuck not having lived up to what was once a vast potential. Please do not let that happen to you. I shall miss you.

Do not be afraid to keep in touch if you wish to. You can always email me here.

You will come across allot of bad people in the future- so keep these words in mind.... no "truer" words have ever been spoken....

"Always remember: Others may hate you, but those that hate you don't win... unless you hate them... and then, you destroy yourself."- Richard Nixon. August 9, 1974.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home